Susan O’Dell



Because I was running my first Marathon and there were friends and family who couldn't

be there, I started to write down what I remembered about the day so that I could share it

with them.  It's a little stream of conscious (or unconscious, as I told Louise...) but some

of it's pretty funny. What an incredible day and what awesome support and friendship 

among all the MERMS!


The Marathon – what an amazing day! - I had a wonderful time!  From meeting members

of my team at 5:30 a.m. to line up for the bus, to waiting in Staten Island, which was a

little cold but OK with all the layers - even the loooooong porto-san lines… 

When we lined up at the start and you looked up at the bridge, there was a sea of people

already on it. The Marathon had begun!  The Verrazano was actually easier than I thought it

would be. And then the crowds and the bands – and I was determined to enjoy it all and not

stress about it, which turned out to be pretty easy to do – and Brooklyn just flowed. 

And what a kick hitting the half mark on the Pulaski Bridge and then coming up on the

59th Street Bridge - I mean there it was!!!!  And then coming on to First Avenue, hearing

the crowds, I just felt SO strong!  I had three sets of people waiting on First Avenue, but

didn't connect up with any of them, which was a little disappointing, but hey... 


I was feeling really pretty good until about Mile 21, when I became aware that my legs

were really hurting!  I mean they may have been hurting before then, but I didn't notice. 

Anyway, just as we came around a corner heading off that last bridge, some guy had a

really loud boom box that was playing "Hey Mr. Postman."  Well, I just started singing with it. 

There I am running and singing HEY HEY wait a minute, Mr. Postmaaaan... A couple of other

people joined in and we made it thru that mile!  Then I walked/ran on Fifth – saw friends Elyse

and Joan at about 116th maybe - that gave me a real lift - felt better - then at 91st Street my

friend Vera, who was on the other side of the street from the Park jumps the barricade and

runs over to me.  It was SO GOOD TO SEE HER!!!!  A cop tried to stop her, but this broad

wasn't having any!  Her husband was in stitches but got a good photo of us, I think!  She gave

me a big hug and ran with me into the Park at 90th.  And then I saw my friends Linda & Donna,

who had cooked this incredible pasta dinner the night before, on 59th Street and had to stop for

a big hug, and then saw Linda Dixon a little farther up – kind of just before going into the Park,

I think – and it felt like a big party.  I saw that last hill, thought jeez, and then before I knew it

I was over the finish line - I didn't even FEEL the hill at all!  Then of course was totally freezing

on the way to get my bag which was about a mile away, but it was fine!  Met Lype thru about

4 cell phones all communicating with each other and Mary Jane Wright’s husband Byron, who

was with Lype.  Turns out he was right across the street from me! 


We headed out to Fiorellos (took almost as long to get there by bus as it did to run the 26 miles!)

and met up with 10 amazing and supportive friends (MJ, Byron, Vera, Jim, Linda, Donna, Margie,

Lynne, Amy, and MariEileen) for good food, good wine, chocolate mousse, and lots of celebration!